The Blue Collar Creed

We the unwilling,
Led by the unknowing,
Are doing the impossible
For the ungrateful.
We have done so much for so long with so little
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing

by Larry Wall

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Decisions, decisions

I’d like to get much more interested in the Federal Election but I find it boring. I think Harper will be back, as a minority, and Dion will be replaced next summer as Liberal leader.
Right now, I find the provincial PC leadership race much more, er…entertaining?

I’ve read all three candidates’ platform, well two really because Alward hasn’t really released one. But I have read what his site referred to as “David’s Speech.” I’ve learned from this that David Alward knows “how to build a team.” From the endorsements I’ve seen it pretty well looks like old Bernie Lord’s team. Percy Mockler, Dale Graham, Rose-May Poirier, Paul Robicahud, Jody Carr, Trevor Holden and his mom, Carl Urquhart and even Elsie Wayne. So pretty well the same trail of thoughts from the Lordy-Lordy government. And he believes critical challenges are important like Education, Health care and the environment. Isn’t that what the Liberals are working on now?

Bruce Fitch; who cares what Fitch thinks, he’s just wasting his time because he doesn’t have a chance. Anyway, never trust a banker with small hands; they tend to take things in armloads instead of handfuls.

Robert McLeod; I think this guy’s the most noteworthy because I think if he wins, the PC party will go through some real changes. His platform relates to things like supporting senior so they can stay in their homes, training and re-training workers to grow our communities, renewable energy and upgrading our highways. Wait! That sounds like the Liberals Charter for Change!!
He wants a four-lane highway from Campbellton to Shediac and Fredericton to St.John but I believe that’s already in the works. He wants to re-introduce the Early Immersion Program, but to what? Lower personal income taxes, well that’s a gimme but where is he going to get the money for his changes? He wants to investigate the “economic potential for environmentally beneficial rail links.” I like that one, but that’s going to be big bucks. Then McLeod ends it all by saying; “This is what I believe.” Looks like Bobby believes in what the Liberals are doing now,eh?
But kidding aside I think McLeod would be a viable leader for the PC and a great adversary to the Graham government to keep them in check until 2010.

I know many people are frustrated with the present Liberal government but I do think they are doing some good. Here’s an article stating that New Brunswick was the “second-best Canadian province to invest in,” by an American economics magazine.
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/416270

In today’s Gleaner, STU political science professor, Tom Bateman, said the Liberals earned a “solid B, for their efforts so far.”
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/418973

The Graham government has acted aggressively on tough problems but I believe they are right. There was a lot of room for changes since the Lord government basically did nothing the last 6 years in office. Changes, and big ones, are hard to swallow but I believe New Brunswick will be a better place in just another few years.
But remember...that's just my opinion.
Peace

No comments: