The Blue Collar Creed

We the unwilling,
Led by the unknowing,
Are doing the impossible
For the ungrateful.
We have done so much for so long with so little
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing

by Larry Wall

Friday, January 16, 2009

The Beer War



Recently, some interesting talk has been circulating around NB Liquor and the Crown Corporation losing some $12 million in sales to the American and Quebec markets last year.
Basically, the point of the new brew is to offer beer drinkers - particularly in border towns like Campbellton and Edmunston, - the cheapest possible option so they don't have to drive to Quebec or Maine.
On Wednesday, I gave an opinion to the article Cheap beer 'bleeds' agency that in the end it’s a matter of taste not price. Man, was I ever blasted with thumbs down. LOL
I believe where I erred was mentioning some “better beers” and actually naming them. People in New Brunswick are very sensitive about their beer brands.
Point learned!
As far as cheap beer goes, I have indulged my fair share, but I realize now that I prefer different beers at different times. I love going to a pub and having a reddish Picaroons or dark Pumphouse. At home, I always have my Moosehead on hand. I like Molson Canadian and sometimes Corona during the summer.
Anyway, thing is, cheap beer is cheap beer. You get what you pay for and if Dana Clendenning and NB Liquor want to start their own brand, well go ahead. I don’t think it will do that much in convincing people in border towns to switch. Some people just want cheap booze, remember swish barrels?
But that’s just my opinion.

No comments: