The Blue Collar Creed

We the unwilling,
Led by the unknowing,
Are doing the impossible
For the ungrateful.
We have done so much for so long with so little
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing

by Larry Wall

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sherraine Schalm


I have to admit, the first time I had heard of Sherraine Schalm was last week. Quite out of the blue I caught a CBC special about Schalm and her efforts to become Canada's first fencing gold medallist. She is a competitor of the highest calibre and a ferociously proud Canadian. Sharp witted and sharp tongued she gave a wonderful interview. What's not to like?
The next day, I caught her match against Hungarian Ildiko Mincza-Nebald. She lost.
The match was a tight affair filled with animosity from both sides which caught me quite by surprise as I don't usually watch fencing.
Anyway, once she lost she reacted with her guts, physically and emotionally. Later she gave an interview which turned into a rant filled with anger and deception.
The next morning, she did another interview on TV basically to apologize for her behaviour of the previous day. She started well but soon turned bitter once again.
I thought to myself; that was too much emotion in too little time for too many to see. For Schalm, or anybody else for that matter, to react so ostensibly there had to be a story somewhere.

Thus I began a search and found out a lot more about this brazen Canadian fencing champion.
I guess the best story I found was this one from CBC.ca


-- Sherraine Schalm, Canada's best hope for an Olympic fencing medal, has been knocked out of competition in Beijing in a defeat Wednesday that triggered some angry words and emotions from the Brooks, Alta., native.
Schalm was seeded fifth in Beijing, six spots higher than her opponent, but was defeated 15-13 by Hungarian Ildiko Mincza-Nebald in the epee round of 16.
Schalm was devastated by the loss, especially since she was defeated by a Hungarian. She had trained with the Hungarian national team for four years, but shortly before her final Olympic camp, she was told by her coach that she was no longer welcome to train with them.
"It's like I imagine being a man. It's like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly, that's how bad it feels. You feel like you want to curl up and die," Schalm, competing in her third Olympics, said after the loss.
"I'm trying to put it all in perspective. Immediately, it's not so easy. It's just really tough. You train so long and I feel like I disappointed myself, my coach, my family, my country, everybody.
"I wish none of you ever have to go through this feeling of loss and feeling of disappointment, and the only thing that I can say is it's definitely not going to kill me, so it will have to make me stronger."
Schalm led the entire bout before Mincza-Nebald, the fourth-place finisher at the 2004 Athens Olympics, took control in the final three points and sealed victory. The contest lasted a little more than seven minutes.
Schalm is one of the best female epee fencers in the world. She won a bronze medal at the 2005 world championships and the overall World Cup title in 2006. She has also beaten Romanian Branza, who is ranked No. 2 in the world, three spots higher than Schalm.
Schalm had a first-round bye in Beijing.


But this still did not explain to me Schalm's angry yet passionate outbursts.

Then I finally found this blog by Elisa Hategan which made all so clear to me.




In light of all this information about Schalm all I have to say is WOW! Give that lady a hand brother, because if there's something I admire is a competitor of this magnitude. Not only is Sherraine Schalm a true Canadian patriot but also a voice that the Canadian government should really listen to. How in the Hell can we expect our athletes to go through shit like that and come out smelling like a rose.


Sherraine Schalm did her best. She does not need to apologize for inadequate sports funding. Chin up girl, you may have lost this time but I can’t wait to see you go for the next 4 years cause you’ll be ripping those Hungarian a new one at the next Olympics. I am officially a Schalm fan.

Go Canada Go!

No comments: